Lab Manager’s Steering Committee Meeting

  • Docx File 45.94KByte



Lab Managers’ Group Steering Committee MeetingJune 6, 2019 Meeting Minutes-Attendees:Mission BaySandy DeVries, Lab ManagerKari Herrington, Lab ManagerRowena Eng, SustainabilityDennis Tsang, EH&SSilke Nock, Lab managerAdam Schnirel, FacilitiesWill Toomey, Lab ManagerMorgan Diolaiti, Lab ManagerDana Smith, Lab ManagerDean Shehu, Supply Chain ManagementSelena Rice, Lab ManagerDavid Cahill, Lab ManagerParnassusRochelle Kelly, RRPAdriane Joo, Lab ManagerKevin Clark, EH&SRon Honrada, Lab ManagerSandy Canchola, Lab ManagerMark Freiberg, EH&SChris Paillart, Lab ManagerKevin Cressa, RRP Mike Lee, Core ManagerZoomEllen Loyd, Human ResourcesChancellors Council May Meeting update — Sandy DeVries (5 mins)Chancellors Council is a campus wide meeting with representatives from groups from across campus (i.e. Postdocs, Students, LGBT, Faculty, diversity groups, Facilities, etc…). Leadership provides updates on campus initiatives, funding and upcoming activities.Latest meeting also included a presentation on Redesigning ucsf.edu and improving the UCSF digital experience UCSF website- social media push. They may be able to help us with social media links on the labresource.ucsf.edu webpageSandy has represented group for 5 years. Morgan will represent the group in the coming year.We will post a list of groups represented on labresource.ucsf.edu?Professional Development awards: — Sandy DeVries (5 mins)Annual award given to lab personnel for professional development related to their current role.Announcement will go out in June for call for applications for $500-1000 for classes/conferences (no airfare, hotels, only registration for event)Application requires PI supportIndividuals cannot win awards in back-to-back yearsCurrent awards for events within the calendar year (January 1 – December 31) but may want to consider changing to fund forward looking meetings/classes. Awards presented at luncheon in OctoberWill Toomey will add list of past awards/awardees to the websiteFollow up from Wine & Cheese — Silke Nock and Adam Schnirel (5 mins)Big thank you to Silke and Adam for hosting!Approximately 60 people attended, mostly from Mission Bay. Presentations from facilities and sustainability were well receivedNotes for next year: we need to get a permit for alcohol and should email Suzanne Murphy ahead of event for exceptional approval for alcohol and food purchases.Annual LM Luncheon — Sandy DeVries, Kari Herrington/UCPD, Kevin Clark (15 - 20 mins)Luncheon is for lab managers to interact with groups represented in the group. Kevin has confirmed that conference center is available September 26 and October 3. Doodle will go out to Steering Committee to finalize dateSilke will organize a subcommittee (Silke, Rowena, Morgan, Kevin, Ellen, UCPD rep) to help plan the event.RSVP form will require attendees to pose a question to one of the panelists.RRP & My cores changes summary — Rochelle Kelley and Michael Lee (5 - 10 mins)(to be continued in more detail in September meeting)Elizabeth Sinclair left UCSF about a month agoBrian Smith is interim director and RRP team has taken on some of Elizabeth’s roles while they search for a replacement. There is an open search if anyone is interested in applying. In addition, there are several new hires including Kevin Cressa, the new Project Manager for the MyCores to iLab transitionAt this point, the cores are aware of the transition, but labs are not.It was noted that people have noticed that the iLab version used in Gladstone is quirky and that there may be resistance to the transition. Per Rochelle, Gladstone was an early adopter, so many features were custom built and the rollout through RRP will be different.Tentative launch late July (for Cores)Will preview to campus in SeptemberIf you want to know more/get info about the launch please sign up for the mailing list at RRP website This will also have information about the core staff monthly meeting will be starting up again in late JulyUCSF "certification" training program for lab managers — Mark Freiberg/EH&S (10 mins)Mark and Lindsey Crystal (vice chancellor) have been discussing starting a training program for lab managers. It would not be required, but would provide guidance to lab managers on procurement, grant management, safety, etc…) with some specific focus on UCSF systems (BearBuy, Rio, LHAT)To ensure everyone completes the training, there would be a certificate at the end. The Diabetes Center has a training for junior lab managers- every 2 months meet with Lab Managers to go cover BearBuy, EH&S etc… Mark will review their training slidesVolunteers to form a committee to explore this idea: Selena, Mark, Chris, Adriane.Seismic Bracing updates — Will Toomey (10 - 15 mins)There are new regulations on seismic bracing, but it is unclear if there any ideas for improving awareness.On Facilities website, there’s a breakdown of what’s in the standard bracing packet. Facilities subsidizes cost of bracing plans. We can brace everything within the standard bracing without a permit per handshake agreement with previous Fire Marshall. At the moment, the new fire marshal is requiring a permit for everything. Questions raised:Is it possible to have a dedicated Facilities line for earthquake bracing?Can we coordinate seismic bracing with Police and Architects/Facilities?Cost is VERY EXPENSIVE and UCSF is not subsidizing it. (for example: 4 freezers, 1LN -> $12K) Is there funding available to help?Once of the requirements for the lab incentive award, is that equipment be braced. Is this helping with compliance?Reorganization of Fire Marshall function – with dotted line report through EH&S. There will be a group to help with backlog of files. Mark will check with Brian Smith to see if central funding can be identified to install unistrut Additional questions can be directed to the following people:Mission Bay: Adam SchnirelParnassus: Cesar Sanchez, Chris GonzalezReal Estate ManagerAs buildings are renovated, they’re pro-actively putting unistrut in the Equipment corridors which should help with costs. Mark will coordinate a meeting with EH&S, Facilities, Lab managers, etc… to follow up on question of central funding. Green Labs Action Plan — Rowena Eng (10 - 15 mins)Working group for Green Labs Action Plan: Rowena, Silke, Will, Adele.Still looking for lab managers from Parnassus.Britta Johnson offering a $1000 rebate for Panasonic ECO Freezers. Might be possible to combine with Sustainability rebates.Freezer rebate program also covers bracing—through funding with the UC Be Smart about Safety program.Next meeting: September 5th, 2019 - send Fraser/Sandy new agenda itemsLMSC Organization: 2019Co-Chair: Fraser Conrad-2019Interim Co-Chair: Sandy DeVries- need a permanent Co-Chair for 2019Treasurer: Morgan Diolaiti 2019/Sandy 2020Website: Will Toomey – open call for website subcommitteeMeeting Coordinator: Kevin Clark (EH&S) Send out Agenda. Reserve room/food/dietary requests/IT support/Zoom/Meeting minutesLM Listserv Moderator: Dana Smith Steering Committee Meetings - 5 meetings per year: February? (March 7th instead of Feb for 2019), April 4th, June 6th , September 5th , November 7th ................
................

Online Preview   Download