Port Washington UFSD / Port Washington School District
Doc File 3,477.00KByte
Latitude & Longitude Lab: Locations in New York & Beyond
Name________________________________Class__________ Date: __________
1. To gain practice in the use of the Earth Science Reference Tables (ESRT)
2. To become more familiar with latitude and longitude.
Materials: ESRT, Straight edge and colored pencils
Procedure: Use the page from the reference tables called “Generalized Bedrock Geology of New York State to answer the following questions.
• Remember that latitude lines are lines parallel to the Equator and run across the page and that longitude lines go from pole to pole and run up and down the page.
• On the map the latitude numbers are on the SIDES of the map and the longitude numbers are those on the TOP and BOTTOM of the map.
• Latitudes in the U.S. always have the letter N after them because they are North of the Equator (even if they are in the SOUTHERN part of the U.S.).
• Longitudes in the U.S. always have the letter W after them because they are WEST of England (even if they are in the Eastern part of the U.S. like in NY).
• Using RED pencil, lightly draw latitude lines across the map of NY State. Draw a line for latitudes of 41o, 42o, 43o, and 44o N. Connect the “tick” marks where the numbers are on the sides of the map.
• Using an ORANGE pencil, connect the “tick” marks that are halfway between each of the lines that you just drew. These lines will represent points that are 41o 30’, 42o 30’, 43o 30’ and 44o 30’N.
• Lightly draw longitude lines in GREEN from top to bottom of the map. Connect the lines of 73o, 74o, 75o, 76o, 77o, 78o, 79o W.
• Lightly color BLUE longitudes of 73o 30’, 74o 30’, 75o 30’ 76o 30’, 77o 30’, 78o 30’, and 79o 30’ W.
Observations: Answer the following questions
1. The two sets of lines that you drew create a series of rectangles called a _____________.
2. What is the latitude of Slide Mountain? (to the nearest degree). ________________
3. What is the longitude of Watertown? (to the nearest degree). __________________
4. What is the latitude of the border between NY and the Canadian province of Ontario where the land is NOT covered by water? ______________________________
5. What is the latitude and longitude of the south shore of Long Island near the Star marked on the map? ______________________________________________________
6. What is the latitude in the middle of Lake Ontario? (to the nearest 30 minutes). _________
7. What is the longitude of Jamestown? ___________________
8. What is the longitude of NYC? ________________________
9. What is the longitude of the next line that would appear to the west of New York State?
1. What is the closest city to 43oN, 75oW? ______________________________
2. What is the closest city to 43oN, 76oW? _______________________________
3. What lake is located at 44o 30’N, 73o 30’W? ____________________________
4. What famous feature is located at 44o N, 74o W? _________________________
5. What goes on at 42o 40’N and 73o40’ W that affects our lives? ___________________
Name:_________________________________ Class:________ Date:_________
Using the Map provided, answer the following questions and mark the locations.
1. Draw a red line along the equator (0 degrees latitude).
2. Draw a purple line along the Prime Meridian (0 degrees longitude). Draw a blue line to show the 180 degree longitude line.
3. Indicate WEST by shading with a light yellow pencil from the prime meridian to the 180 degree line.
4. Indicate EAST by shading with a light green pencil from the prime meridian to the 180 degree line.
3. In which ocean is the location 10 degrees S latitude, 75 degrees E longitude located? ________________________Mark it on the map with a blue "X”.
4. In which ocean is the location 30 degrees N latitude, 60 degrees W longitude located? ________________________ Mark it on the map with a blue "Y".
5. Mark the following cities with a red dot and the code provided.
B. Beijing: 40°N, 116°E
C. Cairo: 30°N, 31°E
CT. Cape Town: 34°S, 18°E
H. Hong Kong: 22°N, 114°E
J. Jakarta: 6°S, 106°E
LA. Los Angeles: 34°N, 118°W
LI. Lima: 12°S, 77°W
LO. London: 51°N, 0°W
MC. Mexico City: 19°N, 99°W
MO. Moscow: 55°N, 37°E
MU. Mumbai: 19°N, 72°E
NA. Nairobi: 1°S, 37°E
NO. New Orleans: 30°N, 90°W
NY. New York: 40°N, 74°W
R. Rio de Janeiro: 23°S, 43°W
SE. Seattle: 47°N, 122°W
SY. Sydney: 34°S, 151°E
TK. Tokyo: 35°N, 139°E
T. Toronto: 43°N, 79°W
In order to avoid copyright disputes, this page is only a partial summary.
To fulfill the demand for quickly locating and searching documents.
It is intelligent file search solution for home and business.
- new york state department of state licensing
- road map of new york state
- new york state dept of state licensing
- state of new york department of insurance
- map of new york state
- new york state road map printable
- new york state department of state ny
- new york state department of state corporate
- state of new york division of corporations
- state of new york department of state
- department of state of new york state
- new york state department of state search