April 2019 Sexual aSSault awareneSS and prevention month
Pdf File 437.18KByte
Sexual aSSault awareneSS and prevention month
The National Sexual Assault Kit Initiative
DNA evidence is an essential tool for the investigation and prosecution of sexual assaults. Victims are often counseled to undergo a medical exam that collects DNA and other physical evidence in a sexual assault kit (SAK). Several case studies have highlighted the challenges law enforcement agencies face in routinely submitting SAKs to crime labs for DNA testing, which include limited resources and staff. As a result, some kits may sit unsubmitted in evidence storage for decades. The Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) implements and oversees the National Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (SAKI) program. SAKI is making a nationwide impact by supporting jurisdictions in 35 states to systematically inventory kits in storage and to test kits as needed. Between 2015 and 2018 the SAKI program made awards to 54 grantees, totaling $139 million in funding. Grantees used these funds towards jurisdictional capacity building as well as the investigation and prosecution of cases resulting from previously unsubmitted SAKs. This snapshot highlights data reported by SAKI grantees between October 2015 and December 2018. You can learn more about the program at: . Find out more about DNA testing for SAKs at: resources/docs/DNA-Testing-101-Sexual-Assault-Kits.pdf.
SAKI increases investigative leads in jurisdictions with backlogged SAKs
DNA profiles from tested SAKs are entered into the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) for information on potential offenders
* Information reflects data reported into PMT by grantees. For "hits to named offenders," whether they correspond to persons of interest previously listed or not is available for slightly less than 100 percent of these hits.
SAKI IN ACTION:
The Samuel Little Case
The SAKI program was one of the critical investigative tools that helped authorities confirm Samuel Little as one of the worst serial killers in American history. It enabled police across the country to corroborate numerous Little confessions. Read more about this incredible investigation at:
SAKI Investigations and Prosecutions
The data are self-reported by grantees using the Performance Measurement Tool (PMT), which is an online data collection system. PMT data are only as accurate as what is entered by grantees.
To fulfill the demand for quickly locating and searching documents.
It is intelligent file search solution for home and business.
- fi irree gcchhieeff ss geenneerraall oorrddeerr
- ment al health month may and beyond
- health awareness calendar
- april 2019 sexual assault awareness and prevention month
- healthworks health awareness days calendar
- cancer awareness calendar€
- awareness events calendar july 2018 june 2019
- 2018 2019 dates of awareness months weeks days
- 2018 2019 school year calendar
- 2019 health observances recognition days
- 2019 breast cancer awareness month
- april 2019 events anchorage
- 2019 mental health awareness calendar
- 2019 national health awareness calendar
- 2019 mental health awareness month
- female sexual dysfunction signs and symptoms
- april 2019 calendar with holidays
- ford april 2019 incentives list
- sexual dysfunction disorder and therapy
- april 2019 sat answer explanations
- april 2019 test date
- free calendar april 2019 with holidays