Who really needs blood pressure, cholesterol meds?
Pdf File 78.60KByte
Who really needs blood pressure,
6 April 2017
Get the right drug. If your doctor determines that you need medication, choose the safest option available. Diuretics, or water pills, may effectively manage high blood pressure. This medication may also be used along with another drug, such as an ACE inhibitor or calcium channel blocker. Low doses of statins--such as lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol) or simvastatin (Zocor)--can also help prevent first heart attacks or stroke, the review authors said.
The report was published online April 6 and in the May issue of Consumer Reports.
More information: SOURCE: Consumer Reports, news release, April 6, 2017
(HealthDay)--High blood pressure and high cholesterol are known risk factors for heart attacks and strokes, but it's unclear who needs medication to help manage these conditions, a new report suggests.
The American Heart Association has more about heart medications.
Copyright ? 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
According to a new Consumer Reports review, patients should consider these factors when deciding whether to take medications:
Weigh your risk. Everyone aged 40 and older should be aware of their 10-year risk for heart attack or stroke. Ideally, it should be less than 7.5 percent. Consumer Reports recommends using a calculator developed by the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association to determine your risk. Don't rush to medicate. Some lifestyle changes may be enough to manage slightly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Exercise alone can significantly improve blood pressure, the review noted.
1 / 2
APA citation: Who really needs blood pressure, cholesterol meds? (2017, April 6) retrieved 13 October 2021 from
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
Powered by TCPDF ()
2 / 2
To fulfill the demand for quickly locating and searching documents.
It is intelligent file search solution for home and business.
- acute stroke practice guidelines for inpatient management
- overview of parkinson s disease treatment options
- who really needs blood pressure cholesterol meds
- patient health questionnaire manuka street hospital
- no yes any form of infection disease or fever diarrhoea
- office of healthcare inspections
- 2019 formulary guide
- 2019 oregon marketplace formulary list of covered drugs
- summary chart of u s medical eligibility criteria for
- managing blood pressure medication at discharge
- heart blood pressure medication list
- worst blood pressure medication names
- recall on blood pressure medication 2019
- what is the safest blood pressure medica
- what is the safest blood pressure medication
- blood pressure medication recall list
- safest blood pressure medications list
- safest blood pressure medication
- safest blood pressure meds
- safest blood pressure medication 2019
- safest blood pressure medication for elderly
- safest blood pressure medications