Lesson Plan #6
Doc File 140.00KByte
Lesson Plan #17
Class: AP Calculus Date: Monday October 18th, 2010
Topic: The Chain Rule
Aim: How do we use the chain rule to find the derivative of a function?
1) Students will be able to use the chain rule to find the derivative of a function.
HW# 17: Show ALL work!
Find an equation of the line tangent to the graph of [pic]at the point [pic]where[pic].
1) At which point(s) does the graph of [pic] has a horizontal tangent line.
Write the Aim and Do Now
Get students working!
Give back work
Go over the HW
Go over the Do Now
Suppose we had to find the derivative of [pic]. We have a rule to differentiate x to some power, such as [pic], but not an expression to some power, such as [pic]
Let’s examine the function [pic]
First find [pic], which means the derivative of y with respect to x?
Now let [pic]= [pic]
So we have [pic]
Next find [pic]
Next find [pic]
Notice that [pic]
This known as the chain rule to find the derivative of a composite function.
You can think of the chain rule like this
If [pic], where [pic]is some expression, then [pic]
Another way to think of it is that it is like the power rule, except that you have to then multiply by the derivative of the inside.
For each of the following, find [pic].
Sample Test Questions:
1) If[pic], then find[pic].
2) If[pic], then find [pic]
3) If [pic], then find [pic]
4) If[pic], find [pic]
A) [pic] B) [pic] C) [pic] D) [pic] E) [pic]
5) If [pic], find [pic]
A) [pic] B) [pic] C) [pic] D) [pic]
To fulfill the demand for quickly locating and searching documents.
It is intelligent file search solution for home and business.
- what is the role of the government
- what is the job of the president
- what is the ethnicity of the us
- what is the purpose of the eu
- chain rule calculus examples
- the chain rule calc
- what is value chain pdf
- what is value chain analysis
- what is supply chain strategy
- chain rule calculus 1
- what is the population of the earth
- what is the chain rule calculus